Thursday, May 07, 2009

Meow

Me and two other girlfriends were going to lunch at an ordinary workday. I came first to the restaurant, there was a pregnant woman with a year old toddler on the sitting next table. The little girl was cute and has a mixed race appearance.

The first of the two friends came, saw me and walked towards my table. Before we had time to catch up, the woman on next table talked to my friend. They knew each other-- although, my friend had a hard time remembering her, my friend later told me. My second friend came in as the woman and the child were about to leave.

My two friends went on a discussion about the woman as soon as the entourage left.

"She used to be so pretty and stylish, remember? She wore all the branded stuff from head to toe."

"I know. I wasn't even paying attention to her at first. She looks so...mumsy. So
that's how people are after they're having a child, huh."

"She should be taking better care of herself."

At this point, I was jumping in to defend the woman. I see nothing wrong with her appearance. She was wearing stylish white capri pants and a gray top. She wore no make up, and her hair is better than mine. She probably gained some weight and her body changed. But aren't those expected for a mother of two? As for the child, she looked clean, healthy, and happy.

"Hey, it's a hard work to be a mother with a toddler and one on the way. I think she's doing just fine."

My friend insisted, "No, she could've done better. She should make time for herself."

Later I found out there were personal problems between my friend's relatives and the woman. So it might explain the harsh judgment on the woman. In retrospect, I might have done the same thing. But as an outsider looking in, trust me, the woman is doing OK, my standard anyway.

No comments: