Saturday, July 08, 2006

First Friday

Yesterday morning, as I was walking to school on my usual route by the church, reaching for a pack of bubble gum in my purse, a feminine voice suddenly calling for me. It was a girl I knew just a couple of weeks ago. Her name, interesting enough, is Immaculate Conception, roughly translated from her native language.

Immaculate Conception and I exchanged a few words and then I got introduced to her friend. Afterward, I excused myself to continue walking.

"Sure, you go on," she said. "I will sit in the church for a while to spend time with Jesus and then I will go to school myself."

"Oh, I thought there is something else," I said, somewhat ignorant.

"No, no."

Right after, I pondered on the thing I had just said to her and later realized, that right that instant, I was unconciously branding her as one of those holier-than-thou type of people. I even remember a few seconds later that I tried to justify myself thinking that one doesn't need to be in church to be with God. And there, I was turning into a holier-than-thou myself.

My token view is that there's nothing wrong with what you do on your personal relation with the greater Force. It's the "advertisement" that I don't agree with...to some extend.

In this case, I feel mistaken.

I suddenly wanted to go to the daily 5:30 PM Mass, and what did I know, it was the First Friday.

2 comments: