Saturday, July 17, 2010

Another Recipe

Wow, I finally had a chance to clean up the refrigerator. Practically, more than half of them are thrown away. Yuck. How did I amass this mess? Easy, it's because I never did any cooking when NY and Mama were here and I didn't resume cooking after they were gone. I didn't aware of the state of my own refrigerator.

Among the perishable, I found a bag of washed spinach still intact. It has been almost three weeks since I bought it. It had been intended for me to get back to salad-for-lunch bandwagon, but it has never happened. Amazingly, the spinach leaves in bag were still fresh. I also found a can of fire roasted tomatoes and a half pint heavy whipping cream. An idea for some kind of spinach pasta sauce comes to my mind.

The other day I watched Julie and Julia and was amused to find how their cooking adventures got so integrated in their daily lives. I wish I have that much passion for cooking, for now it is just a mean to survive and to cut cost. The only thing that tied me with the Julia Child phenomena is the dutch oven I used to whip up this sauce. My mother and NY gave it to us for our wedding gift.

Without further ado, here is recipe, from my kitchen (with half junk full of a refrigerator) to your kitchen.


Spinach Tomato Sauce

Half a bag of 9 oz washed spinach (trick is spinach has to be fresh)
1 14.5 oz can fire roasted tomatoes (preferably chunky)
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 jalapeno pepper
1 sweet pepper
3 cloves garlic
1 tbsp onion
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
1/2 tsp sea salt

On food processor, put the spinach, tomatoes, jalapeno, sweet pepper, garlic and onion. Puree accordingly. Do not over puree the mix to a thin liquid consistency.

On skillet or sauce pan, pour the spinach-tomato-peppers mix and heat up to medium heat. Add the heavy cream and water. Add spices and salt. Stir. Adjust spices and salt to your own taste.

Pour over pasta. It should work well for dipping sauce too.

Picture below is of the sauce sans pasta. I had lunch already when I cooked this.



Baked fish fillet crusted with cheddar, parmesan cheese and panko bread crumb to eat along with pasta and the sauce above. Modified from this recipe.



Crunchy oven baked croutons from left over sourdough, maybe I will eat salad again one of these days. Recipe here.

No comments: