Thursday, July 22, 2010

Baking Frenzy

Continuing with keep-the-refrigerator-clean theme, I have just baked a Banana Blueberry Bread tonight. Yes, I store bananas in the fridge to keep them from ripening, I love the raw taste. Unfortunately, banana bread recipes usually require ripe ones. Since, there was no spare bottle of acetylene around, I microwaved the banana to induce ripening, of course, it did not work.

I have just enough of the required (despite fresh) second name sake of the recipe. On another note, I have been unfortunate with blueberries these past two weeks. They were tasteless, as in there were not enough of tartness or sweetness. I will mix some spoonful of sugars and splashes of lemon juice or balsamic vinegar to alleviate the dull taste of the berries next time.

The recipe I used is courtesy of this website. Now that I am rereading the recipe, I found out that I forgot the oats. I like the moist texture as it is, I might not incorporate the oats on purpose on the next try. Also, I will add more salt to keep it interesting mix of tart, salt, and sugar.

1 stick of butter
1 cup of granulated sugar

2 extra large eggs
1 cup ripe bananas
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

1/2 cup quick cooking oats
1 tsp
Watkins Pure Vanilla Extract
1 cup frozen blueberries
2 tbsp flour

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour 2 loaf pans. In medium bowl cream together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs. Mash bananas until smooth and add to sugar mixture.

In large bowl mix flour, baking soda and salt together. Add in oats and mix well. Fold banana mixture into flour mixture. Stir in
Watkins Pure Vanilla Extract.

Sprinkle 2 tbsp. flour over frozen blueberries and mix until all blueberries are covered. Add to batter.


Transfer batter to the loaf pans. Bake between 50 and 60 minutes. Let cool slightly and serve warm with your favorite whipped cream or ice cream.


I am sparing officemates from this baking experiment since I deem the bread pretty successful and thus needs no outside forces to devour. I hate throwing good stuff out. The brownies two weeks ago, on the other hand, were slight disappointment.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Looks and sounds delicious! Can't wait to try to make it myself.