Wednesday, July 04, 2007

S-p-u-t-t-e-r-i-n-g

I asked the advisor so that I can be trained to use that other module, the one we need for the last part of the project. This way I don't have to depend on the colleague who owns the module to work on my samples. Freedom like this is something one has to give up when one decides to work in this field profesionally.

Yesterday, I tried for the first time to do the work with the module to gather the first data point--I'm planning to have four-- for this set of paramater. And then I'm thinking of examining the second paramater with another four data points and call it a complete experiment. It needs way too much time, which I couldn't afford. Next, I will see how the other colleague is with his part of the work and go from there to make a complete device.

There are difficulties encountered when operating this module: plasma couldn't ignite, leaking valve, etc. The fact that it is operated manually can be a blessing in disguise. We spent quite a lot of money on this module and to think that we still need to control the experimental condition by hand is just beyond me. On the other hand, there is less complicated electronics and no programming to be worried about. It's all straight operation, a clean and safe one.

So, here I am on the 4th of July, working on the second data point. I'm hoping I'm improving my skill from yesterday's.

No comments: